lots of eye candy

i've seen the Contemporary Textile Fair at Teddington advertised over the past few years and wondered about going - it seems like a bit of a schlep to get to but when i heard that another member of Natural Surface had a stand there this year i made my mind up to go
originally mick didn't want to accompany me, he didn't fancy the drive .... london suburbs etc... but for reasons known only to him he had a change of heart, gave up his saturday morning cycle and beer session with marion and chose to drive me there
...and it was well worth it - set in a de-consecrated church with lovely stained glass and good light, there were 75 stands of textile artists showing and selling their work - it could have turned into a shopping fest but i restrained myself! i mainly bought cards of work i was interested in, there were some lovely clothes but ..... i really have got more than i need - all the artists were keen to talk about their work, but i suppose there wouldn't be much point in them going if they were shrinking violets - there was a really good mixture stuff, quite a few seemed to be students or recent graduates showcasing some really innovative but accessible work: Craig Fellows' slugs filled me with glee, and Jillian Hurst (no pics on her blog yet) was showing her joyfully bubbly 'furniture'
jo mabbutt's work with doileys caught my eye and my fancy, i'm going to suggest her as a possible workshop for EG, she's certainly provided me with some thoughts on what i might do with some of my vintage textiles
the vibrant colours and simple shapes in Lois Bellew's textile hangings reminded me of ruth isset's work and will, i hope, inspire me to be more bold in my use of colour which isn't adventurous enough yet
... and it was lovely to meet Lynda Howells who i've been in touch with on Natural Surface - she was showing a selection of her recent ecodyeings and items made from them, as well as wearing some of her own art - it sounds as though she has a lot on her plate right now so i was really impressed that she was there and so energetic

now i should translate some of that inspiration and energy into my own work ....... don't hold your breath!


Comments

Popular Posts