a beginning - sense of place

starting a new piece is always daunting - most of my stuff just grows organically with no discernible plan, or a constantly changing one - so doing a themed piece for exhibiting is always tricky for me

this time the theme is A Sense of Place and i have chosen Yorkshire as the place - as always I've pondered, brainstorm, mind mapped etc ...... and finally I feel I have my vague plan

i am starting with a piece based on the contours of the land, using an ordnance survey map as my source - i've picked a section which includes a view i find typical of west yorkshire, near Hebden Bridge

I did some samples trying to create the ridged texture I want - a worthwhile exercise as the first attempts did not nearly achieve the effect I want - in the end I got it right with cord felted into pre-felt

i wanted to used reclaimed materials, but the wool blanket i have is too thick for the size of work i am aiming at - but i am using pre-felt i had in my stash and reclaimed cord (some of which has yorkshire connections via the caravan)




next step was a template, using an enlargement of the map section, with simplified contours ........ and the first cut of fabric onto which I tacked the contour lines



then i laid down the cord



now i start laying on the top pre-felt

















Comments

Popular Posts