meaning to stitch 1

in my continuing search to bring some sort of consistent approach to my stitching i have joined an ongoing subsciption group led by Ruth Singer

Ruth is a textile artist whose work has really spoken to me (the term makes me squirm but is expresses what i mean) - it hits something deep inside me

while i don't want to replicate Ruth's work, i can see that she achieves what i feel i would like to work toward in a way which appeals to me

the introductory video and blog post for our overall theme and the first topic made several points which reminded me of where and how i had succeeded in stitching meaningfully in past work

for example in my first memory cloth, phc-memory-piece i started with cloth my father had used - i feel this is the piece where i have successfully layered in meaning in different ways using script, textile, individual stitch types, objects and physical layering - it has been a hard act to follow

i know i can do meaningful stitch but it seems to be such a long process - i have an idea for a piece but there are always long periods where the ideas don't come or develop. but this sometimes means the piece goes into a sort of cogitation phase, like a long simmering, until the right spark or ingredient comes up and reignites the process

i feel i need help in stimulating the spark to come a bit sooner




Comments

Popular Posts