threads of time - 13

another first for me has been that i have recorded my progress in a sort of sketch book and notebook -two formats because my notes are rather scruffy and barely legible so i don't feel they are ready for public viewing

right back in november i prepared some coloured pages as "signatures" - the idea was that i could fill them as i pleased and then put them in order when i had finished - this worked well for me as i don't always work in a neat and tidy progression - then we had the bookbinding workshop so i learned how to put my pages together

before the workshop i had seen some 'open spine' bindings and felt they would suit my pages better - all the samples made the pages a bit fat so i wanted a binding which allowed the book to open out flat - so i chose a coptic style, although my stitching isn't quite up to scratch as i didn't do them all the same ..... but i'm happy with my first effort










i think i feel more confident about doing this again in future .... i might even keep the notes and samples together, they will mostly be just for me so mess & illegibility won't be an issue

Comments

Mo Crow said…
I love how coptic binding opens so flat and if you want to protect the spine it's easy to reinforce with a thin (ie just under 1cm) strip of the same or contrasting material to whatever you have used for the covers.
stickyfingers said…
thanks for that - i'll remember it for a later binding - i suspect i will do more
eva a(r)t work said…
coptic is my favourite stitch! I learnt it years ago ... and forgot it! You Need to practise the stitches once in a while. I am going to watch a YouTube Video today to re-learn it, because I prepared a book over the Weekend, but forgot the stitch ...again!!!

Popular Posts