a new experience 3 - more fun

this should be the final part of processing my stay in hospital - it refers to events which took place a week ago but it has been helpful to work through it

sunday 9th november
after a sleepless night and distressing early morning i settle to some stitching and soothing tunes - the chaplain arrives at the same time as the consultant, i am allowed a few minutes with him while the consultant sees other patients - as a non-judgemental listening ear the chaplain helps, i pour out some of my jumble of fears and concerns and we sort out the priorities - he stays with me when the consultant insists on seeing me, after all her time is far too precious to be able to give me a few more minutes to prepare

 her response to my concerns is completely inappropriate, washing over me in a mass of consultantese, oblivious to my glazed look of incomprehension - i stop her, actually managing to be firm but polite - what a complete waste of everyone's time - at least i didn't get angry

one immediate outcome of this "consultation" is that two young men arrive as i am catching my breath, enjoying a welcome hot drink (being on restricted fluids means that every drink really counts) and having a good laugh at a text from one of my more imaginative friends - they look like a pair of youth workers, announce themselves as some sort of mental health initiative and ask if i would care to talk about any support i might need - a bit of a surprise but why not ......

......not simply a waste of time but actually a really scary experience - i feel as though i am being assessed for immediate committal to a mental health unit - their non-verbal language contradicts their claim that they are here to support me, they focus quickly on long term issues with little attention to my current acute situation and how to help me get through it - i end up accepting a referral to the drug and alcohol team and they promise to return tomorrow!!!!!

mick comes to the rescue, arriving before official visiting time and delivering a long needed hug - he mops me up and eventually calm and composure return - the member of staff responsible for calling in the "support" has no comprehension of how much distress was caused or how inappropriate it was to take this step without consulting or notifying me - it still irritates me to think about it, but at least i feel safe and happy now - i can even joke about the men in white coats coming to take me away, haha, heehee

so they let me out the next day - a week later i'm still catching up on sleep but so happy to be at home, with friends and friendly contacts in easy reach - the digital world has become a central part of my support system - and i am lucky to be surrounded by care and good will

........... i am already thinking about a heart-doiley


Comments

liniecat said…
Glad your home and away from all those crazy folks!
I do think you need to be assertive when a patient, especially when your sense of humour fails in those, what could be, scary situations.
I had 2 stents in when I had an emergency angioplasty, I also found watching that screen fascinating by the way!
Im going to send you lots n lots of positive vibes and am pretty sure it was the restorative stitching that kept you grounded!
Wishing you better health from here on in : )
Mo Crow said…
what a story!!! a heart-doiley sounds like the perfect thing to make, some sympathetic magic to strengthen your heart's muscle!

Popular Posts