CST - lesson 1

(written in january)

so while i am trapped in my plaster and velcro straightjacket i am going to " turn the lemons into lemonade" ....... my creative strength training course with jane dunnewold starts today ........

i know that creativity takes practice but persisting with practice is a major weak spot with me - it's why i never learned to play an instrument among other things - so it's time to pushed myself and subvert my stubornness into positive persistence, it will be so much more useful to me

. . . . . . . 

the first lesson starts with a verse, poetry isn't my thing but this appeals to me as i feel i get what it is saying - i haven't asked permission to reproduce it here but i have credited it and hope that's ok

Verse 11

We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the center hole
that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space
that makes it livable.

We work with being,
but non-being is what we use.

Tao te Ching
translation by Stephen Mitchell

i am glad that i have already discovered the importance of process with my textiles, this reminds me that there is often something intangible about the reason for making but it becomes obvious once it is completed

and that the absence of something might just be the main point - like negative space

Comments

Mo Crow said…
I have had an ongoing 43 year old argument for the power of the spaces in between with my brother who is a very practical and pragmatic aeronautical engineer who reckons they wouldn't exist without the container.
stickyfingers said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
stickyfingers said…
oops, i accidentally removed my response which said.......

mmmmm, it's a bit chicken & egg isn't it - how do you notice an absence if there hasn't been a presence? maybe it's about valuing both or noticing the contrast

Popular Posts