meaning to stitch 14 - on damage

progress at last .......

all the input from Ruth singer, through Maker Membership (MM) resources and live sessions has finally succeeded in moving me on

I have been stuck trying to work out how to express my confused thoughts about my paternal family's interactions and relationships, while incorporating aspect of the socio-economic background for that, while also paying attention to the source of the family's initial wealth: sugar plantations staffed by slaves

i finally realised that i had taken on too much - focus was required, so i have reduced my "vision", cut out the family issues and focussed on my feelings about the slave ownership

the end result is a shift towards expressing the damage inficted on and experienced by the slaves - clearly this is limited to my understanding of it and a lot of guessing 

by creating patterns from damage-related words to be printed as fleur de lys motifs i hope to express the pattern of abuse inflicted on the slaves, represented by their stitched initials

the fleur de lys, a symbol of France, was used as the mark for branding criminals - in French colonies it was also used on slaves


the plan is to print these on the black lining of the christening gown - so this means a plan and some action!






Comments

Popular Posts