meaning to stitch 18 - hidden histories revealed

I stitch by hand to tell stories, share ideas and explore themes which influence my life. I make for myself, for pleasure and reflection, often starting with research before letting work develop organically.

My usual materials are reclaimed cloth and meaningful objects. As well as stitch I add other techniques when I feel the subject needs them. For this piece the antique christening gown prompted me to explore the effect of old “secrets” on my family. Research revealed close connections with slavery which I struggled to absorb and articulate.

The process of developing this piece helped me to crystallise and express my response. The choice of  other materials and techniques, silk organza, simple stitching and print, was guided by that response.

Hidden Histories is my attempt to  honour the memory and acknowledge the suffering of some of the slaves whose work enabled the life of my family - their potential was stolen and thwarted by the abusive servitude of plantation labour.

this is the ghost I see behind my family


Hidden Histories

a christening gown - the innocence and potential we all have at the start of our lives

the fine white cotton and silk are a reflection of the comfort and wealth ot the exploiters, contradicting the conditions of those  who laboured for them

embroidered with the initials of more than 600 of the named slaves registered by the Cantin family between 1813 and 1834

these were the people whose enforced labour made the comfort and future of this family possible. 


the initialed gown

apron of enslavement

an apron - servitude 

printed with Fleur-de-lis - symbol of France, in France and French territories criminals and slaves were branded with a fleur-de-lis until 1832 

the fleur de lis designs incorporate words reflecting the emotional and physical effects of working as a slave on a sugar plantation 




detail - initials


detail - fleur de lys over initials


Historical note: 

The couple who started this family, in their new home of Mauritius, were Marie Louise (probably not her original name), a freed South Asian Seamstress and Antoine, a migrant French Hatmaker. They never married although this was permitted by law for a brief period during their lives together. Both were listed as owners on the Slave Registers of Former British Colonial Dependencies 1813-34. 


as a stitcher, i feel a connection to Marie Louise and wish i had known her and more about her real identity and story - she is the only woman on my family tree whose profession is recorded - as i stitched the apron i hoped that it would have pleased her to see her descendant make such a meaningful garment with care and love 

Comments

Popular Posts